The universe is expanding

Alvie Singer was right, the universe is expanding. Space:

A census of 200,000 galaxies may confirm that the mysterious force of dark energy is what is pulling the universe apart at ever-increasing speeds…The galaxy survey, which looked at galaxies that were up to 7 billion years old, used data from NASA’s space-based Galaxy Evolution Explorer (GALEX) and the Anglo-Australian Telescope…

“The action of dark energy is as if you threw a ball up in the air, and it kept speeding upward into the sky faster and faster,” said Chris Blake of the Swinburne University of Technology in Melbourne, Australia. Blake is lead author of two papers on the study appearing in an upcoming issue of the journal Monthly Notices of the Royal Astronomical Society. “The results tell us that dark energy is a cosmological constant, as Einstein proposed”…

“Observations by astronomers over the last 15 years have produced one of the most startling discoveries in physical science: The expansion of the universe, triggered by the Big Bang, is speeding up,” said Jon Morse, director of the astrophysics division at NASA

t’s a good thing that dark energy actually exists. After all, it makes up about 70% of the universe. And dark matter makes up about 25% of the universe. So we’d be in a real pickle if 95% of the universe was shown to be nothing but a dream in man’s mind. Come to think of it, the remaining 5% — comprising everything we observe — isn’t doing all that well.

4 Responses to “The universe is expanding”

  1. Frank Says:

    They had to invent dark energy to balance their equations. Me thinks they need to go back and re-check their work. Or perhaps instruments are not accurate enough or assumptions are not correct. Clinging on to dark energy/matter is starting to sound desperate.

  2. Neil Says:

    You can balance phlogiston equations, too. Ptolemaic epicycles can accurately represent the courses taken by the planets through the sky. But “cosmological constants” are not the same thing as understanding.

  3. Hank Says:

    Cutting-edge astronomy/astrophysics borders on the absurd, with as little (or less) objective scientific reliability as global climate change nonsense. Moreover, its subject matter and speculations are of trivial relevance to actual human life on earth. Without massive government subsidies, this field would barely exist, and rightly so. Oh, and it all starts with the modern man’s Creation Myth — the “Big Bang.” Like Darwinism, it is a form of religious faith masquerading as science.

  4. Roy Lofquist Says:

    Actually, there isn’t that much govt funding of cosmology. Aside from that, the cosmologists took a very wrong turn in the 1930s and have become terribly incoherent. It is an extremely small field with probably not more than a couple of hundred PhDs working it full time. It is a very tight little church and heretics are burned at the stake.

    Where did they go wrong? First, they decided that Hubble’s “red shift” was a Doppler effect – things were moving away from us. Second, they assumed that electromagnetism was a constricted, local force that does not matter in the cosmos. Gravity is the name of the game. As to EM, real experiments with satellites and planetary explorers have totally disproved the gravity assumption.

    There is a well developed alternate theory, The Plasma Universe, which was developed (in part) by Nobel Prize winners.

    http://www.plasma-universe.com/Plasma-Universe.com

Leave a Reply