Benghazi and elsewhere….

Columbia Journalism Review:

More than a week after President Barack Obama’s cold-blooded killing of a local couple, members of the American news media admitted Tuesday that they were still trying to find the best angle for covering the gruesome crime. “I know there’s a story in there somewhere,” said Newsweek editor Jon Meacham, referring to Obama’s home invasion and execution-style slaying of Jeff and Sue Finowicz…

So far, the president’s double-homicide has not been covered by any major news outlets. The only two mentions of the heinous tragedy have been a 100-word blurb on the Associated Press wire and an obituary on page E7 of this week’s edition of the Lake County Examiner. While Obama has expressed no remorse for the grisly murders — point-blank shootings with an unregistered .38-caliber revolver — many journalists said it would be irresponsible for the press to sensationalize the story.

“There’s been some debate around the office about whether we should report on this at all,” Washington Post senior reporter Bill Tracy said while on assignment at a local dog show. “It’s enough of a tragedy without the press jumping in and pointing fingers”

Let’s see. For more than a week now the Secretary of State, the UN ambassador and the President have been all over the media brazenly saying that the 9-11 RPG terrorist attack in Benghazi was about a YouTube clip, when even the president of Libya said that the explanation was ludicrous.

We don’t recall any more pathetic and risible performance by the most senior government officials in our lifetime. It’s mind-boggling that they could get the words out of their mouths without choking. And yet, to our knowledge, not one reporter has reacted with the shock and incredulity these absurd performances deserved. Instead, they meekly ask their follow-up questions. And there’s still a month and a half for the media to sink lower.

Leave a Reply